Getting support for your mental health
There are a number of mental health services based in Derby and Derbyshire that are there to offer you support:
Derby City Life Links provides a wellness and mental health recovery service tailored to meet your needs.
- Local Talking Therapy services (also known as Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) services) can help you to manage depression, low mood, stress or panic.
- Relate Derby has been commissioned by NHS England to provide counselling services free to residents of Derby and Derbyshire. Contact 01332 349177 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The services available are:
- IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) counselling for couples and young people (16-18 years).
- Support for children and young people’s (age 5-18) emotional health and wellbeing.
- Counselling for people affected by Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC).
- Staywell Derby C.I.C offers Lived Experience Support, with the aim of improving the mental and emotional wellbeing of Derby City residents.
You can also access national helplines and online support chat services:
- Anxiety UK run a live chat and helpline
- OCD Action run Skype and phone support groups
- MIND has an infoline, which provides an information and signposting service.
Getting help for your mental health in a crisis
If you feel like your life is at risk, or if you have seriously harmed yourself, call 999 immediately as this is an emergency. If you need medical help but can keep yourself safe for a while, call ‘NHS 111’ by dialing 111
- The Derbyshire Mental Health Helpline and Support Service is a freephone service available to everyone living in Derbyshire - both young people and adults. It is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you or your loved one are experiencing distress or anxiety, or feeling that you cannot cope, call 0800 028 0077 for support over the phone. That support could be about your mental health but you can also talk through practical issues that may be causing concern.
- Samaritans provides non-judgmental emotional support for those experiencing feelings of distress, despair or suicidal thoughts. Tel: 116 123 free helpline (24 hours), or email email@example.com.
- Use the Staying Safe website for support, information and making your own safety plan.
You are not alone
If you are feeling alone, you may find that spiritual guidance can help. To find out what support is available from faith communities in Derby, contact the Derby Multi Faith Centre. Call 01332 591 285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.