Derby VCSE Forum July 2021: New health structures: Making sense of the changes
This online event provided an overview of the new structure (Integrated Care System) being developed to deliver health and social care in Derby & Derbyshire, what will be in place to agree and tackle local priorities via Place Partnerships, and what this means for voluntary, community and social enterprise organisations in the city.
Points raised during the Q&A and discussions included:
Will this deliver real system change – not just coordinating better, or rearranging existing structures?
Decision makers need to understand the diversity of the VCSE and also that it has many different roles to play – identifying need, defining priorities, shaping and developing services, delivering services, engagement of patients and communities (geographical and communities of interest, particularly those seldom heard), governance.
Need to make sure we address what real people tell us are the issues and priorities for them.
- Not being able to get GP appointments
- Access to home visits for people who are unable to leave the house due to their mental health condition
- Transition from children’s to adult services
To engage community groups effectively as partners takes resource and commitment.
- Investment in the sector as a provider of services. Partners say that the VCSE offer is hard to understand as services come and go – but this is often a consequence of lack of long term investment. The system needs to invest in what we do, if it is seen as important, not assume it can always be self-funding.
- We offer a valuable mechanism to engage and involve communities in shaping services (example given of work around maternity services) – but there are lots of demands on VCSE and resource is rarely offered for this engagement aspect of their work.
Issues around information sharing between sectors and services, which would help us all to be part of a genuinely joined up system. If VCSE are an equal partner will we, for example, be trusted with SPA or access to patient records?
Presentation from the event can be downloaded using the links below:
Kate Brown’s presentation on Integrated Care Systems and the development of ICS in Derby and Derbyshire (Joined Up Care Derbyshire): https://tinyurl.com/ca2021071
Tina Brown and Perveez Sadiq’s presentation on Derby Place Alliance (which will become Derby Place Partnership) and priorities for the city: https://tinyurl.com/ca2021072
Wynne Garnett’s presentation on opportunities and challenges for voluntary, community and social enterprise organisations, and the VCSE Leadership Programme which is exploring this:https://tinyurl.com/ca2021073
Wynne can be contacted directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
To be added to the mailing list for future Forums or updates on health/ICS issues email email@example.com