Skip to main content

Cost of Living Advice for Non-Profit Organisations

Picture of a calculator and pen on papers

As well as the impact on individuals, the cost of living crisis is putting a lot of pressure on charities, community groups and other not-for-profit organisations. We have pulled together this advice and guidance from a range of sources in the hope that it may help our Derby VCSE community.

Energy Bill Relief Scheme

This government scheme provides energy bill relief for businesses and other non-domestic customers, including voluntary sector organisations and charities.

  • The government announced a new scheme to run from 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024. For the new scheme, price thresholds have been set at £302 per per megawatt hour for electricity and £107 per megawatt hour for gas.
  • Energy and Trade Intensive Industries will receive a higher level of support, subject to a maximum discount. This applies to four categories that fall within the VCSE sector. These are: Library and archive activities; Museum activities; Operation of historical sites and buildings and similar visitor attractions; Botanical and zoological gardens and nature reserve activities.

  • The support will automatically be applied to all eligible bills. You do not need to apply for the scheme.

Click here for more information

Funding Opportunities

  • The Charity Excellence Framework has outlined a number of funding opportunities from Charitable Trusts and Foundations to support charities, non-profits & community groups through the crisis. Click here to read the article
  • Don't forget that at Community Action, we provide a funding advice and information service for community groups and voluntary organisations. Click here for more information

Managing Financial Difficulties

The Government has published information on managing financial difficulties at charities during the cost of living crisis.

Click here to read the information

Reduced VAT for Charities

Charities registered with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) are entitled to a reduced Value Added Tax (VAT) charge of 5% on their energy bills.

  • As a charity, you must register for VAT with HMRC if your VAT taxable turnover is more than £85,000.
  • You can choose to register if it’s below this, for example if you want to reclaim VAT on your supplies.

Click here for more information

Other Advice

Credit where credit's due - some of the information on this page was found on the NCVO website, here.

  • Organisations
  • Charity
  • Help & Advice
  • VCS
  • Cost of Living Support